Monday, January 9, 2017

Pioneer Cabin Tree

I was sad to read that Pioneer Cabin Tree – a giant ancient sequoia tree which was hollowed out for cars to pass through it – has been toppled by recent storms.  It was supposed to be more than 1000 years old, which is a surreal long time if you think about the amount of history that has occurred in its lifetime, which makes it especially unfortunate that some crappy storm managed to kill it.  I've been to a lot of the forests and national parks in North California where these huge trees are.  I don’t recognize the name of the park where the Pioneer Cabin Tree was, but I’m sure I had a photo of my car at that time parked in one of these hollowed out trees – so I was searching through my old photos and managed to find this from 2005:




Some internet searching reveals that this is actually Tunnel Log in Sequoia National Park.  Driving under a toppled dead tree somehow doesn’t seems quite as good as driving through an upright tree that is still alive.  Sadly that might not be possible now.

No comments:

Post a Comment