Sunday, January 29, 2017

Australian Open

With the Williams' sisters in one final, and Roger vs Nadal in the other - it feels like it should be 2007 rather than 2017.  I had the impression watching Roger vs Nadal that this might be the last time we'll ever see them in a Grand Slam final together again.  And, inevitably, it was a classic.  I tried to stay up to watch - but I had to give up about 1.30 am when it was one set all.  But I managed to catch the "as live" replay this morning.  I couldn't really care less about the women's final - when Venus plays Serena it tends to be a nervous and low quality affair.  There was a time when it felt like they were just alternating championships because they could, but as time has gone on it is clear that Serena has become the the best female tennis player in the world, probably ever.  With his 18th title now, it could be argued that Roger is the best male tennis player ever.  For sure he is an absolute class act in the way he behaves and conducts himself.  I'm glad he beat Nadal - who is undoubtedly also a superb player, but I don't like his little tics and I don't like his freakishly muscular left arm which looks so abnormal compared to his right arm.  So congrats to Mr Federer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment