Monday, January 30, 2017

Immigration

Well we knew it was coming, but it seems like Trump’s (or, to be more accurate, Steve Bannon’s) immigration policies might be the final straw that breaks the camel’s back.  And in only his 2nd week of presidency!  How to create a constitutional crisis and stir a massive populist hornet’s nest?  By banning Muslims from entering the US.  Quite rightly, there is a massive global backlash to this.  There were big protests in Seattle last night, similar to other cities across the country and the world (and this on top of Seattle having one of the largest women’s marches in the country on the day after Trump’s Inauguration).  And I’m thankful I’m not flying anywhere, because apparently the protests at airports have caused lots of delays and problems.  I’m glad the British people are also protesting  and petitioning to rescind Trump’s State Visit – Theresa May’s lukewarm response should correctly be criticized.  I support the protests – discriminating against individuals because of their faith goes against American (and worldwide) values of democracy and decency.  As a foreign immigrant in the US myself, I know how tough it is to become a legal and lawful resident of the US – the vetting process is thorough, so to unilaterally ban people from the country who have gone through the long process of obtaining a visa or Green Card but happen to have a different faith is ridiculous, pointless and disgraceful.  Simply put, it is right-wing discrimination.  I think Washington is the first state to sue the president over the issue.  I expect a LOT of Trump’s executive orders will be challenged in court.  Trump’s presidency is going to be no walk in the park, that’s for sure.  Bring it on I say.           

No comments:

Post a Comment