Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Bookworm

For some inexplicable reason, I’ve decided that I need to acquire some new novels to read – so I’ve just added 17 books to my Amazon cart totaling about $100.  These are all based on authors that I have read before and liked – so we’re talking people like John Irving, Norman Mailer, Ian McEwan, Philip Roth, John le Carre, William Boyd.  They even include some books that I’m absolutely positive I’ve previously owned and read but have disposed of a long time ago – probably on one of my moves to or from the US back in the day when I got rid of a load of my belongings (to think, there was a time where I wasn’t so attached to my material possessions – might be a lot tougher for me to let go of stuff now!).  Actually, thinking about it, there are a couple of reasons why I’ve decided I need to increase my library.  The first is that other than some Game of Thrones books which I won’t read until the TV series has finished, I don’t have any new books to read.  And since my Empire magazine subscription has now elapsed, my source of reading material has decreased.  Secondly, I think my passion for novels has been reignited by just finishing a great book – Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.  A good book is perhaps even better than a good film – now I’m debating whether to get some kind of e-reader….

No comments:

Post a Comment