Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Shopping

Took a brief shopping excursion to Target this morning.  Even if it’s perceived to be the fashionable alternative to Walmart, It’s not a department store I tend to frequent too much – I find it overpriced and overrated.  But, for whatever reason, I wanted to have a wander round it this morning.  And once again I was remarkably underwhelmed by what it had to offer – yet it was inexplicably very crowded.  It seems to be the store of choice for soccer moms – nothing like the blue collar/Trump supporting crowd you get at Walmart.  I’m trying to think about how to compare it to the UK – if Walmart is Asda, then Target is Sainsburys (and Whole Food Market is Waitrose and, I guess, Kroger is Tesco).  But walking out of Target empty-handed, I decided to check out the Cost Plus World Market next door.  Now this is a weird store, seemingly selling only home furnishings and some international foods – I have no idea how it is still in business, especially during a pandemic.  But, much to my delight, I was able to get some nice UK-themed treats for Christmas – some After Eights, some Quality Street and a Terry’s chocolate egg.  As I was checking out the Terry’s packaging, I was stunned to notice that it was made in France – what the hell, I thought it was a quintessentially English confectionery?  Some quick internet research reveals that they haven’t been made in the UK since 2005.  So at least you can’t blame Brexit for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment