Friday, December 25, 2020

Merry Christmas

A Christmas alone.  Not how you want to spend it.  You know what I missed most?  Maybe waking up to a sackful of presents from Santa at the bottom of the bed.  Maybe playing cards with all the family, particularly Grandpa who played with such amusing reckless abandon.  But no, I think it's the food I missed - and miss - the most.  I think the Christmas Day meal was, and is, my favorite meal of the year - something that Mum slaved over for hours with so little appreciation.  Well I appreciate it now!  Exactly like Thanksgiving, I wasn't prepared to cook a massive meal with all the trimmings just for myself.  Unlike Thanksgiving, there are a lot less places here that offer take out Christmas dinners.  In the end, I picked up a pre-cooked dinner from a local Irish bar/restaurant a few days ago - so all I needed to do was heat it up today.  It was perfectly nice, but it doesn't compare to Mum's home cooking!  As with a lot of American meals, it came with a side salad that was almost a meal in itself - so much so, that I had the salad for lunch and the main meal for dinner.  I doubt it was a real Irish Christmas meal, here is what it consisted of (verbatim from the website):

- Hand Cut Holiday Glazed Ham

- Au Gratin Smashed Potatoes

- Broccolini with Bacon

- Cider Spiced Braised Cabbage

- Emerald Salad with Fruit and Candied Nuts

- O'Donnell's Soda Bread

Make of that what you will.  They don't do Christmas Pudding in America.  So I also ordered some Bread Pudding, which is about as close as I can get.  I'm feeling pleasantly stuffed now, but of course a Skype call today can't make up for the lack of company.  I'm going to try to ensure that doesn't happen again for any future Christmases.

No comments:

Post a Comment