Thursday, December 24, 2020

Childhood Memories

I went for a Christmas Eve walk round the neighborhood today.  It's still extremely cold, so this turned into a treacherous adventure with plenty of opportunities for me to "hilariously" slip over and fall on my ass.  I'm not going to have a white Christmas here, but there's still plenty of icy snow lingering on the ground long after I mentioned that snowfall we got a few days back.  But encountered a few things that triggered some nice childhood memories.  First of all, heard the shouts and laughter of some kids and encountered them sledging down a hill on what was left of the snow - brought back a good memory of doing the same thing in Hertford on the rare occasion it snowed there.  And a bit later on, saw and smelt some backyard bonfires - and that brought back some nice memories of bonfires at the bottom of the garden growing up.  I think as a kid you're always kind of drawn to fire, but I always like that distinctive bonfire smell and I kind of like the fact it lingers in your clothes long afterwards.  I miss that.  And I miss the innocent joy of youth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment