Thursday, December 3, 2020

His Dark Materials

Having just watched the most recent episode of His Dark Materials today, I have reached a sad conclusion about this show - it isn't particularly good.  I want to like the show, I really do, but I have to accept the simple fact that I don't.  Maybe that's too harsh - I mean it's fine, but it's not like really good and I wouldn't miss it if it was canceled.  Kind of reminds me of one of those early Sunday evening dramas on BBC1 - maybe because it has children as the leads, maybe because it still feels kind of cheap despite the huge production costs.  Personally, I think it would have been much better with less kids and more adults - don't take away the importance of the kids, but only have them as secondary or peripheral characters.  Either way, I've heard so much about how good the source material is that I've recently ordered the trilogy of books from Amazon.  I need to start reading again more regularly, so what better choice than some (young adult?) fantasy novels with some big themes.       

No comments:

Post a Comment