Thursday, May 3, 2018

Westworld S2

I’ve been watching Westworld Season 2, although I don’t plan to recap any episodes in this blog like I think I did for Season 1.  I can’t decide whether Westworld is really good or just really pretentious.   The first season at least had a clear arc of the robots gaining sentience and self-realization, with the “cute” trick of having the storylines played out concurrently over different timelines.  With Season 2, at least so far, the overall arc isn’t clear – more just an excuse to have the robots engaging in various violent encounters and philosophical musings on their way to some indeterminate destination conveniently located a long way away.  And again over multiple timelines – which feels a bit cliché now.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s still very entertaining and I will definitely continue to watch.  But I’m definitely not sold on this season anywhere near as much as I was on the first.  And I’m not anywhere near as interested in engaging in the various fan theories and speculation online compared to the first season (though I am aware of the B=T theory).  It definitely feels like the “Lost”-type scrutiny of Westworld has quite substantially dissipated this season.  Which may or may not be a good thing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment