Wednesday, May 2, 2018

A Bear

Well, my financial wellbeing took a large hit today.  Yesterday my company announced its first quarter earnings, and they were (unexpectedly?) below targets and expectations.  So consequently, the company’s share price dropped about 8% today.  So all the shares I have in the company courtesy of annual bonus grants and that I have acquired (and continue to acquire) via the Employee Stock Purchase Plan are now suddenly worth a lot less than they used to be.  What does this mean?  Well a quick check of my assets this morning has revealed that they are worth about $25K less today than they were yesterday.  Yikes.  But on the bright side, at least the company has started to do cash dividends – so I will get a little something extra next month.  Hopefully the share price will recover (or at least remain stable) going forward – I think we are mostly at the whims of the general stock market, which is worryingly volatile when you have Trump in charge.  But unless I have an urgent need to get hold of a load of money (e.g. towards a deposit should I ever buy a house, or more likely to sustain me during a work sabbatical), I’m not planning to sell any of my shares any time soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment