Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Thoughts from my desk

It’s currently 6.15 pm, and I’m writing this at my desk – waiting for the traffic to get better before heading home.  Current estimated commute time is 40 minutes, and I tend to wait until it comes down to 35 minutes before I leave.  Unfortunately, I’ve been sat at my desk wanting to go home for the last few hours – but the traffic this week has been horrendous, and I hate being stuck in it when it’s barely moving.  The weather has been good and I could have gone out for a walk, but I’ve got a big blister on my foot from too much walking – and I don’t want to make that worse before the long Memorial Day weekend.  Naturally, everyone else in the office (or at least everybody in my immediate vicinity) has already left – it is almost guaranteed that by 5.30 nobody will be here, even though we are supposed to be working 8 hour days.  I don’t think anybody does – it doesn’t count it you log onto your network later in the evening just to check your e-mails (which I don’t do.  I’m one of the very few people not to even take my laptop home most days – because I value the differentiation between work and not work.  Generally that is something that America and Americans don’t value that highly, even though I think they should).  If I wait until 7 pm, unless there has been a crash then the traffic should mostly have gone and it is a smooth commute home in less than half an hour.  I still have to endure a lot of bad driving and drivers no matter what time I leave – for the most part I have learnt to let this go, though that can be tough.  Tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be some of the worst days of the year for traffic – thanks to Memorial Day on Monday.  I’m still working both days, and not looking forward to the commute tomorrow because Thursday is already the worst day of the week for commuting (which in itself is interesting, because traditionally Friday was the worse but that is definitely not the case now – maybe because more people work from home on a Friday nowadays?  Whatever.).  Well, it’s 6.30 now and Goggle Maps tells me it’s about 31 minutes to get home, so I am leaving.  Goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment