Monday, May 14, 2018

The Single Life

Last week I was asked if I would be interested in going out with a friend of a friend.  Of course I responded, what can you tell me about her.  I had a good idea what was coming next, and sure enough there were the 3 words I was expecting – She is Chinese.  Everything I was told about her after that I kind of tuned out from.  And so that was quickly nicked in the bud – I am not interested in going out with someone who is Chinese, no matter how pretty, intelligent or how good her English might be.  Does that say a lot about how much I resent “Chinese” for taking over my profession?  Probably. Does that make me racist?  More than likely.  But the simple fact is that, for whatever reason, I am not in any way attracted to anyone who is Chinese.  Don’t get me wrong – I have friends and colleagues who are Chinese who I get on with absolutely fine.  I probably shouldn’t be as picky as I am.  After all, this is not the first time I’ve tried to be set up with a Chinese girl.  But I’m just not interested in anything beyond a platonic/professional relationship with someone who is Chinese, and that is my personal line in the sand – for better or worse.  So I had to awkwardly tell my friend I wasn’t interested – made even more awkward by the fact that he has a Chinese wife.  But it is what it is and I am who I am – sorry.     

No comments:

Post a Comment