Thursday, October 21, 2021

Caught in the Act

I once again noticed this morning that my hummingbird feeder was empty.  But this time, I had my trail camera set up overnight.  So let's check the footage:


Yep, that is a raccoon just helping himself to the hummingbird nectar.  And check the timestamp - this is not very late in the evening.  The cheek of it.  This is not a welcome development, because apparently hummingbirds will stop using the feeder if a raccoon has been at it.  So what can I do about it?  Well first thing is that I've taken the feeder off the chain - so it's a bit higher up.  But I still think it's too low, so I might need to buy a higher stand.  I could also consider moving the feeder, but I'm somewhat reluctant to do that because I like to be able to see the feeder when I'm sitting inside watching telly.  

At least I know my camera works.  It captures the big stuff - like I've also got footage of a squirrel at the bird bath - but it doesn't capture the hummingbirds in action, which is a bit disappointing.  I wonder whether I might be able to if I move the camera a bit closer.  I doubt it, they are just small and their movement is too quick - you probably need a really expensive camera to capture that, rather than the cheap one I have.

1 comment:

  1. Good work there Chris - genuinely impressed with the footage

    ReplyDelete