Saturday, March 20, 2021

Good News, Bad News

A mixed day.

Good news: I got my new green card today.  So I'm a legal permanent resident here for another 10 years!  Unexpectedly, I didn't need to get my biometrics done again - so my new green card has an old photo of me from 10 years ago.  Yikes.  And did they refund me the cost of the biometrics screening?  Did they heck.  But with the long waiting times, was very surprised to get this new green card before my old one has even expired.  I don't think I'm going to get another one after this - if I'm going to stay in the US beyond 10 years' time, then I might as well become a US citizen.

Bad news: I did my taxes today.  I knew I was going to owe money, but I underestimated just how much.  I thought I might end up owing about $5K, in actuality it's almost $8K.  Yikes.  I haven't filed my return yet - I'm going to double-check my numbers again tomorrow.  But this is not good - I think I need to obtain the services of a financial advisor or someone that can advise me properly on both how I should be investing and how to reduce my tax burden.  That probably starts with donating more to charity, which results in a tax deduction.   


No comments:

Post a Comment