Friday, March 26, 2021

Fake News

Of all the news sources, I wouldn't have thought BBC would be guilty of fake news.  But here we are.  Today I came across an article in which they claimed that USA should be considered one of the contenders for the 2026 World Cup.  What utter bullsh*t.  I don't care that they are one of the host countries - a fact that had slipped my mind (as an aside: I will definitely plan to watch some games in person during that world cup, particularly since Seattle is one of the host cities).  But let's be realistic - USA will not win the World Cup in my lifetime.  They just don't have the focus, drive or passion towards "soccer" that you need to go all the way.  The article referenced the fact that so many Americans have appeared in the Champions League this season - but what they don't say is that most of these are fringe players who are either mediocre or play on mediocre sides.  Or that there are dozens of countries that have more and better players in the Champions League.  You just need to watch MLS to see how far behind the game is here compared to Europe.  Nope - I would suggest that you stick to your own version of football.  And that the BBC stick to credible articles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment