Wednesday, March 10, 2021

$1.9 Trillion

 ... That's a lot of money.  And how much of it will I see?  Jack squat.  I don't qualify for a stimulus check (which I guess is a nice reflection of my salary!).  I suppose I might see some of it indirectly through whatever state and local government get, but nothing directly in my pocket.  But I'm fine with this, and I approve of the relief bill - I think it's a necessary step to recover from the economic impact of the virus.  Of course not everything in the bill is going to be successful, but better something than nothing.  Disappointing but not surprising that it wasn't a bipartisan bill - such is the obstructionism of the Republican party nowadays.  What an absolute disgrace they are.  I would support the bill even though I don't agree with everything in it.  For example, I don't agree with the fixed amount of the stimulus check - $1,400 goes a lot further in somewhere like Mississippi than say where I live - and I think the qualifying criteria and amount of the stimulus check should have been more tied to cost of living.  It's exactly the same reason I don't agree with a universal minimum wage - which I'm glad they dropped from the bill - but I do agree with a minimum wage decided at a more local level.  It's so ironic that the people and the states that are likely to benefit most from the relief bill are predominantly Republican supporting.  What a messed up country this is.      

No comments:

Post a Comment