Friday, September 17, 2021

Light Rail

I received a flyer this week advertising the Light Rail service that is being built around Greater Seattle.  And that everyone is paying for with an exorbitant increase in tax when we renew our car license tabs, along with extensive disruption to traffic due to all the construction.  The flyer states "Take the Bus to Light Rail.  Service to Northgate Begins 10/2.".  Northgate is as far north as the Light Rail currently goes, at least until 2024 when it will get extended further north, and closer to where I live.  But all of this is meaningless, because I don't live anywhere near one of the transit centers.  I don't even live particularly near any bus routes - I think there is a bus stop that is maybe a 15 minute walk away (a walk I wouldn't want to make in the dark, since a large chunk of it does not have a sidewalk), and as I look at the schedule online it runs all of twice a day.  No wonder I hardly ever see a bus in my neighborhood, and that I've never used this service.  And the bus doesn't even run to Northgate - you'd have to get a second bus there.  So the flyer states "Frequent buses and trains make for fast, easy connections", "Spend less time driving for a more relaxing trip", "Skip the worst traffic and get there faster" - none of which is true.  An alternative would be to park and ride at one of the transit centers - but my experience is that they don't have nearly enough parking spaces, and especially during the week they tend to fill up really early.  So I honestly don't see myself ever using the Light Rail.  What a tragic and enormous waste of money this will prove to be.     

No comments:

Post a Comment