Saturday, September 11, 2021

9/11 Anniversary

With it being the 20th anniversary of 9/11, naturally there are gazillions of documentaries, retrospectives, TV series, movies, etc about the attacks that have been airing today and over the last few weeks.  It's difficult to know which ones are worth watching and which are not.  A lot of the same iconic footage tends to get recycled.  But I have decided to watch or DVR a couple of them.  The event is not as triggering to me as it is to most Americans, but I don't think I'm very informed about exactly what happened.  I remember where I was when I first heard about the attacks (in the office in Sheffield), and I have been to New York and Ground Zero since then.  But the inner historian in me wants to know more about one of the most important historical moments of our lifetime.  This week I watched the 2002 film 9/11, featuring a documentary crew who were following New York firefighters when the attack happened.  It includes fascinating (and devastating) footage from the ground, and from inside one of the towers, that I had never seen before as they follow some of the first responders.  I've also been recording a couple of series - the Nat Geo 6-part series called 9/11: One Day in America, that seems like quite a comprehensive look at what happened on this day 20 years ago; and the 4-part Spike Lee series called NYC Epicenters 9/11 -> 2021 1/2, which seems like more of a New York-centric look at 9/11 and beyond.  I'm honestly quite surprised that the US hasn't made 9/11 a national holiday.           

No comments:

Post a Comment