Friday, September 24, 2021

Coyote Sighting

I have some very active grey squirrels outside my house - I often see them around, sometimes chasing each other, sometimes going across my patio without a care in the world, sometimes scurrying up the trees, sometimes carrying food, sometimes burying food.  This morning I was watching a squirrel through my kitchen window - it looked like it had pilfered an apple from my neighbor's yard and was in the process of tearing it apart and leaving a right mess on my driveway.  When it suddenly darted down my driveway and up the nearest tree - it happened in a flash, and might be the quickest I've ever seen a squirrel move.  I looked back to where it had been - and saw a face staring at me from the undergrowth.  It looked like a fox.  And just like that the face disappeared back into the undergrowth.  I went outside to see if I could see where it went, and to try to get a photo, but no noise and no sign.  I think that foxes are rare round here, so I have to assume that it was a coyote.  And sure enough, a quick google image search seems to confirm that was indeed what I saw.  I think this was my first decent sighting of a coyote - I've heard them plenty of times before, and I think I've seen them from a distance before, but certainly not like this time where we actually locked eyes.  It seemed to be alone, but who knows for sure whether the rest of it's pack was nearby.  I kind of had this impression that they were hyena like and quite scrawny, but this one looked quite big and in good shape.  I've been seeing a lot of deer recently, so I wonder whether it had feasted on one recently.      

No comments:

Post a Comment