Saturday, February 27, 2021

Rugby Thoughts

As I'm watching the Six Nations games today, I have some thoughts:

- I think it might be time to drop Italy from the Six Nations.  It's been what 5 or 6 years since they last won a game, and most of their defeats are not even close.  We've given them plenty of opportunities to improve and compete, but it hasn't worked.  So let's give another country a chance.  Maybe Argentina, I'd go for Japan - the World Cup there was a success, and I think this would help continue to keep rugby popular there in the years between World Cups.  Yes, maybe not practical in terms of distance and time difference - but I think it is worth it, especially post-covid when travel is less of an issue.

- Why the hell are there still Premiership rugby games going on this weekend?  You don't get Premier League games when players are on international duty, so I think it is ridiculous that you still have club rugby going on when the teams' best players are not available.  That is some serious lack of respect towards the domestic game and the domestic teams.

- The actual game of rugby has not fundamentally changed over the years that I've been watching, but a number of subtle rule changes over the years have made a slight difference.  I think rugby has always been one of the most difficult games to referee - it's a messy game, a key reason why I like it, and there is a high degree of subjectivity when it comes to enforcing the rules.  It is still not a perfect game, I think teams will always find ways to skirt the laws, but I love the fact that players respect the game, and the referee, a lot more than any other sport I know.

- Oh England, that is some disappointing defeats this year first to Scotland and then to Wales.  I have to question the coach - some of the tactics, player selection and indiscipline is very disappointing.  For example, I don't think Saracens players should've been selected - they haven't played any games this year, so no question they would be rusty and not ready for international play.

- I have some major issues with how certain players are allowed to play for certain countries.  It makes a mockery of international selection rules - and really challenges the credibility of international competition. I had to look this up, but it seems like there is a rule about players becoming eligible to play for the country where they have resided for a certain number of years.  This gives a real unfair advantage to the countries with the best domestic leagues - like England and France - where any player from any country who plays for one of these clubs for long enough becomes eligible to play for a country that has no connection to their own nationality or family history.  That doesn't seem right.

- It's interesting that the use of VAR, which is so flawed in football, is extremely effective in rugby.  I hate VAR in football - it ruins the flow of the game, and some of the VAR decisions are questionable and problematic to say the least.  I think the linesmen (and lineswomen) should be given the respect to do their job - I hate the fact that they delay raising their flag now due to VAR, which is nothing short of saying they can't be trusted to make the right decision.  Whereas I find VAR in rugby to be perfectly "normal" and trustworthy.  Football could learn a lot from rugby in this regard.       

No comments:

Post a Comment