Friday, November 13, 2020

WTF WFH

For the first time, it really crossed my mind that I would consider working from home permanently.  We got notified today that we are now required to work from home until April.  So that will be an entire year stuck at home.  And with the way things are going in the US (don't even get me started on the political situation here which we all saw coming but which is still despicable, and which is only hindering the pandemic response), I think going back to the office in April is extremely optimistic.  Hopefully at some point next year we will be allowed to go back to the office, but we will probably be given the choice not to.  Which is why I wonder whether further down the line we might be given the choice to permanently work from home.  Which is something I would consider now - unthinkable 9 months ago.  And if I was to do it I would definitely move - somewhere by the coast and somewhere I could own a dog.  I did pop into the office today (probably my last time for a very long while) to pick up a package - a package that I ordered over a year ago, which is why it got delivered to the office (and the contents of which I'm sure I'll blog about in the future).  But the office just seems so alien to me - quiet, nobody there (at least on my floor), and very unwelcoming.  And the neighborhood has changed - I took the opportunity to grab a sandwich for lunch at a place near work that I used to go to regularly (once or twice a week).  And it is totally different - it has undergone refurbishment, and what used to be a cheap and expansive sandwich selection in the deli there has been replaced by a limited and vastly more expensive choice.  Extremely disappointing - and even when office workers start to come back to the area, I don't see it getting any better.  Another place to cross off my list - my lunch choices should I ever return to the office have started to become very limited.          

No comments:

Post a Comment