Saturday, November 14, 2020

Regional Transit Authority Tax

I moaned about this last year, and I'm going to moan about it this year, but it's time to renew the license plates on my car and the fee is still absolutely outrageous.  And it's all due to this "regional transit authority tax" - essentially I'm contributing to the light rail extension that is being built around Greater Seattle that I'm probably never going to use.  It's a great idea - but the transit centers will have wildly inadequate parking (as they do now), rendering them utterly useless for most people - including me.  So so stupid.  The only way the extension affects me is that all the construction causes road closures/delays that messes up the traffic.  But anyway, coming back to the tax - you're supposed to pay 1.1% of what your car is worth when you renew your license.  But the way in which they calculate this is notoriously inaccurate - it's based on some sort of depreciation schedule that does in no way actually reflect how much your car is worth.  For example, I'm paying a $173.00 tax, so that evaluates my car as worth about $15,700.  I know for a fact that it is worth something nearer to $13,000 (from a car vehicle report that I regularly receive).  That difference is not insignificant.  What a rip off.  What makes it worse is that last year an initiative was put to the vote and passed for capping the car tab fee at $30 (something I would probably have voted in favor of as well).  But first it was blocked in the courts and then ruled unconstitutional.  So the voter-approved measure never got implemented - what a disgrace.  I appreciate that we need to pay something for road maintenance and suchlike, but I'm not happy about having to pay for these huge and expensive and questionable mass transit projects (that I suspect will do absolutely nothing to help the increasingly worse traffic here).  The light rail from the airport to downtown is already a total bust - hardly anybody uses it - so do we really expect things to be any different when the service is extended to other areas?  I'll answer that - nope.    

No comments:

Post a Comment