Sunday, November 29, 2020

Guilty Pleasure

There is one TV show that I am ashamed to say that I continue to watch if there is nothing better on or if I want something on while most of my concentration is directed elsewhere.  And that is The Big Bang Theory.  I think apart from the last few seasons, I've probably seen every episode at least once - and probably most of them numerous times.  The earlier seasons - before the introduction of Bernadette and Amy - are by far the best, and the later seasons - when everyone is just phoning it in and collecting their huge paychecks - are by far the worst.  Now that the show is syndicated, it is aired on so many channels that almost any time of day you're guaranteed to find it.  If I'm going to be totally honest, it does have some truly funny moments - but for the most part it is utter trash.    Yet I continue to put it on.  What is wrong with me?  That was a rhetorical question.

1 comment:

  1. A coiuple of comments here (as a BIG TBBT fan myself)

    1. It's not trash, massively influencial in making "nerdery" cool

    2. Totally agree about the later "forced for money" series - they're increasingly naff - culminating in the cringy final ending.

    3. Most shows (& film series') decline in quality from a brilliant "first concept". Tough to think of exceptions - MASH would be my throwaway shout at one (& maybe Cheers).

    4. Back to TBBT - The development of Amy & Bernadette as characters isn't bad as a natural life progression concept, but
    Amy was always going to vaguely "normalise" Sheldon (less out of this worldly = more boring) & more fundamentally Bernadette was going to affect the Raj / Howard dynamic (which is one of my favourite facets of the earlier series').


    5. Just like TBBT, the early episodes of Young Sheldon are very very good (although this has waned fairly quickly)

    ReplyDelete