Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Corporate Speak

I had to skip out of a meeting at work this afternoon.  I just couldn't take it.  It was about "leadership commitments" - and just full of absolute BS.  You know, all those kind of HR buzzwords and statements that are supposed to improve our "corporate culture".  I probably shouldn't share this, but these are the 5 commitments that have been newly introduced and imposed on us: "I am bold in aspiration and agile in execution", "I care and make time for people", "I listen, speak openly, and explain the 'why'", "I trust others and myself to make sound decisions" and "I own the impact of my words and actions".  I lasted 10 minutes, and as soon as they started talking about splitting us up into small breakout groups I was done.  If it was one of those meetings where you could just kind of zone out while they prattle on about all this nonsense, then that would be fine.  But if they actually want me to contribute to some sort of small group discussion - then nope I'm out of here.  I hate any sort of interactive meeting like this, especially on a topic that I don't find interesting or useful - you can't teach an old new tricks, and I'm an old dog at this stage of my working life.  It's just so fake and as I get older it gets increasingly more difficult to hide my disdain at change.  There might be some repercussions with my dropping out of the meeting - after all, my boss is one of the presenters!  Our 1-1 later this week could get a bit awkward.  Hmmm, I might have to go with the "Oh no, my internet connection suddenly dropped" excuse...    

3 comments:

  1. Hope by now you've sent your boss your apologies for disappearing due to 'connection problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ducking out of the meeting was not good PR.

    That said, you could argue that you were struggling to reconcile the various paradoxs thrown up by the 5 commmitments.

    For example

    "I trust others make sound decisions", therefore I'm trusting others not to waste their time concocting 'fashionable strap lines" which detract from actual effiency gains.

    Alternatively:-

    I feel that the 5 commmitments mask operational inadequacies, so I took an aspirationally bold decision to leave the meeting AND executed it with agility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. If you go with the internet connection dropping lie, you are both:

    1. Sensible
    2. A coward

    ReplyDelete