Wednesday, January 8, 2020

To Office, or Not To Office

I got offered the option to move into an office this week.  Apparently my level of seniority entitled me to one, and apparently entitled me to one last year even though nobody mentioned it.  But, in an extremely controversial decision, I said no.  I must be some kind of masochist.  I’m sure I’ve complained enough about my cube neighbors in these posts – whether it’s loud Chinese being spoken, overhearing conference calls from someone whose headset volume is turned up way too high, someone typing way too loud, or the stench of food.  But despite all that, I still said no.  Why?  Well for starters, I didn’t want to give up being by a window.  All the offices are in the middle of the building, so no window and no view.  That is too claustrophobic for me.  And I think the other thing about being in an office is that it can be quite isolating – yes great for privacy, but I think you can begin to shut yourself off from everyone around you and minimize your interactions.  If I wanted that, I’d work from home.  I want that balance of hearing some activity around me, but I can put my earbuds in and shut it off if need be.  I have enough privacy in how I angle my screens so that nobody can see them.  And I don’t have direct reports and I don’t have to dial in to many conference calls, so my need for having an office is not strong.  I’m happy where I am for the time being.  Saying that, and knowing my luck, probably someone new will move into one of the spare cubes around me and be the cube neighbor from hell (note to self – excellent TV idea).  So I will probably come to regret this decision, but at least I know I can put myself on the waiting list for the next available office if things go pear-shaped.

No comments:

Post a Comment