Thursday, January 23, 2020

Contagion

How to get very nervous very quickly.  Feel that you are coming down with something flu/cold-related.  Then find out that one of your Chinese colleagues went home over the Christmas period – and where was their home?  Wuhan.  Source of the fatal coronavirus.  Yikes.  Not that worried – I don’t have a fever or breathing difficulties, and the chances of infection are minuscule – it is not even a colleague I interact much with normally.  Still, shows how easily a deadly pandemic could spread and wipe out most of the population.  It’s telling that the first US case of the virus was found in Everett, a city just north of Seattle.  And then a welcome lunch today for a couple of new Chinese employees at work was cancelled due to the virus – which seemed like a bit of an overreaction.  Not that I was going to go – because they were going to a restaurant where the food was just too weird for me.

And I said I wouldn’t do much politics in this blog, but I have to mention 2 things.  One – senators being given fidget spinners to play with during the impeachment trial.  After all, it’s easy to quickly drift off when you’ve already made up your mind about your vote before hearing all the evidence and arguments.  Two – Trump rolling back even more environmental protection rules while everyone is distracted by his impeachment trial.  Shameful.  Nonetheless, I happened to notice that the odds of Trump getting re-elected are 8/11 with William Hill – if I was a betting man, which I’m not, then I would put a BIG bet on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment