Thursday, January 2, 2020

Self-Improvement

I’m not starting my new year’s resolutions until Monday 6 January, when normalcy returns.  It’s all about healthier habits and healthier routines, but you can’t do that on public holidays (like yesterday) or quiet days in the office (today and tomorrow) when there is hardly anybody in and no work to do.  Considering I was out for 2 weeks, I was surprised (and a little disappointed) that I only had about 100 unread emails waiting for me today.  And nothing that needed my attention.  So until my manager is back next week, I shall just sit back and twiddle my thumbs.  And think about my resolutions.  I think my priority this year is to lose some weight.  Doesn’t have to be a lot, but I have got to break the cycle of the last few years when I’ve gained rather than lost weight.  Food and exercise obviously go a long way towards that.  But it’s simple things I need to be better at – drink less soft drinks and more water, cut down on snacking, apply portion control, etc.  But I can’t rush into these things otherwise I won’t stick with them, so I just have to go for slow and incremental improvements.  As far as exercise goes, it doesn’t help that this is the 10 day weather forecast for Seattle:


That is not a lot of good weather to encourage me to get out and about – but showers should not deter me.  However, the snow in the forecast is a little ominous given what happened last winter.  And also makes me want to splash out on something like a Peloton exercise bike to use on those rainy days.  Hopefully the forecast will change for the better.  My other main resolution is to finish off my living space improvements.  I’ve got the new sofas now, and I have moved my television into the other room, so next in line is a dining table set, plus lots of accessories (I need to buy a number of floor lamps, and I’ve given myself some space for a display cabinet), before finally upgrading my entertainment system.  This is all going to hit my wallet hard – but needs must, these improvements were long overdue and I’m not an impoverished individual any more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment