Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Congestion

I hope it is just because of the wet weather or because we had a public holiday this week, but the traffic commuting to and from work over the last few days has been absolutely appalling.  I expected Tuesday to be bad because that was the first day back to work after the holiday.  But I did not expect it to be even worse this morning.  Took me over an hour to get into work (about 14 miles) – and that was still leaving relatively late at 9 am.  I hope this is not a new norm.  Obviously the tech companies and the influx of tech workers have to shoulder most of the blame for the worsening traffic, but there also seemed to be a lot of traffic going to the University of Washington.  I didn’t see any accidents that might have caused a backup, but it wouldn’t surprise me if there was one earlier because the wet weather brings out some shockingly poor driving.  I particularly hate the big rigs in the rain, who are going too fast and kick up so much spray it can blind you.  Let’s see what it is like tomorrow – Thursday is traditionally the worst day of the week for traffic.  I’ll probably take my work laptop home tonight so that I can log in tomorrow morning over breakfast and not actually head into the office until much later.  I know I’ll probably end up staying at the office well past 7 pm – with just the company of the cleaners going round emptying all the bins – as my rule is not to leave until Google Maps tell me my commute time home is 35 minutes or less.  It’s at times like this that I welcome our computer overlords when AI takes over all our jobs and all our driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment