Friday, January 17, 2020

Every Silver Has A Cloud Lining

So much for things going well at work.  I received a swift kick in the face today.  Got my manager’s performance review evaluation back – and was granted the rating “Achieved”, which is the Grade C of performance reviews.  In my self-evaluation, I had given myself a rating of “Exceptional” or Grade A.  I thought this might come down to “Exceeded” (B), but not to come down by 2 grades.  Very, very unhappy about this.  I worked my ass off over the last year, including sacrificing numerous summer weekends to meet exceptionally tight deadlines, and ultimately did a great job on fulfilling my responsibilities – but I have never got any sort of recognition for my hard work.  No bonuses or awards at the time, and now a distinctly average annual review.  And, as a result, a smaller annual bonus as well.  Apparently, my manager was telling me, they couldn’t grade me any higher this year because I got promoted last year.  But I cry BS.  That, or the whole performance review process is just a total farce and sham.  Is there “cultural” bias in any of this?  I can’t be sure, but it wouldn’t be a surprise.  Are a number of other undeserving people going to get better ratings and/or promotions?  Undoubtedly.  Am I the victim of a flawed process, or a departmental hit job?  I’m being told it’s the process, but I don’t totally believe it.  All I know is that I’m disappointed, angry and demotivated – and if I’m going to be rated as an “average” employee, then maybe I should act like an average employee.  I’m better than most of the people here, and I think the people that I work with know that, but apparently the people who actually matter don’t.  So screw them – and screw my positive attitude to the job.  If this is how they recognize probably the most fulfilling professional year of my life, then I will treat the job with the same contempt they’ve shown me.

No comments:

Post a Comment