Thursday, January 9, 2020

Streaming

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon Prime Video
Disney+
CBS All Access
HBO Now/HBO Plus
Peacock
Apple TV+
BritBox
Acorn TV
… plus about 200 others.

TOO MANY STREAMING SERVICES!!!  I only get Amazon Prime Video because I’m a an Amazon Prime member, and I pay for HBO as part of my cable package.  But everything else is dead to me whilst I still have cable (which might not be for much longer – especially once I buy a new TV).  The last two listed are quite niche, but they stream British shows so they get a mention.  But what is most disappointing is that all of the above now have a number of high quality and original programs exclusive to their service, and that I will unfortunately not get to see anytime soon.  I’m extremely reluctant to pay for any of these on top of what I’m already paying for cable, premium cable and Amazon Prime, which is quite enough – once upon a time I used to subscribe to Netflix, but that feels like an eternity ago when I still got DVDs sent to me in the mail and way before they started producing about a billion new shows.  How the TV landscape has changed – and not for the better.  I don’t know how long all these services can sustain their business – I think there eventually has to be some kind of consolidation or trimming of the fat.  We are already starting to see casualties (Playstation Vue is shutting down).  But I think it is inevitable that I will cut the cord soon – I need to do a price comparison to see how much it would cost me to watch all the channels I currently do via streaming compared to what I pay my cable company.  It should be less, but I don’t think it will be less by much – especially as I think I can negotiate a lower bill with my cable company.  So maybe I can (reluctantly?) hold out for just a little while longer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment