Tuesday, June 21, 2016

More Brexit Thoughts

I can’t imagine how bad it is in the UK, but the media coverage on Brexit in the US has significantly escalated as the vote nears.  And if the articles I have read are any indication, even people in the US are worried about the effects of the UK voting out of the EU.  I’m frankly shocked at how close the vote will seemingly be – it seems that people are acting on emotion and a distrust of the government, and a somehow misguided notion that Britain can once again be great again if it ditches the shackles of the EU.  It can’t and it won’t – I think it can and should loosen the binds, but to break them entirely would be a huge mistake.  I suspect most people are being swayed by the scare-mongering of prejudiced print media – rather than using their common sense, looking at the facts and making a measured, reasoned and informed decision.  As has been correctly pointed out, it is not unlike voting for Donald Trump – whose popularity is based on appealing to misogynistic and nationalistic fears of the white man.  I would argue that a vote for leaving the EU is appealing to those similar base fears.  I think American voters are better than that, and will overwhelmingly reject Donald Trump when the time comes.  I hope British voters are able to do the same with regards leaving the EU, but I am worried that the people most likely to vote will vote out.  So regardless of which way it goes, I hope at least there is a decent turnout and therefore the vote is a fair representation of what the majority of the populace really wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment