Monday, June 6, 2016

Game of Thrones S6E7

Kinda weird episode this week – although still tracking several plot threads, the focus seemed somehow tighter and I can’t remember having seen a cold opening before.  This featured several new (and returning!) characters – a somewhat unusual time in the season to introduce them, but OK we’ve still got 3 episodes left (though I feel like we need a lot to happen in these last 3 episodes to make all the build-up worth it).  But I liked Swearengen’s 1-episode cameo – and good to see The Hound back (back from the dead?  I wasn’t clear about this.).  And I liked the girl who was head of House Mormont – though Davos’s interaction with her was not unlike his interaction with Shireen (hopefully it will end better for her than it did for Shireen!).  And good to see Bronn back with his pithy putdowns.  But we haven’t got payoffs on any of the major plot threads yet, and that is still massively disappointing.  I think the various other developments and machinations hinted at or were just red herrings on what I think will happen – Margaery playing a long con, Jaime/Blackfish stalemate, Arya not dead, Sansa asking for Littlefinger’s help, Theon’s eventual redemption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment