Thursday, June 23, 2016

Mental Health

It’s quite unsettling when people like that guy who killed the MP in Leeds get described with terms like “quiet”, “shy”, “a gentle, kind chap” and “a bit of a loner”.  I’m all these things as well (maybe not so much on the gentle, kind side!).  That doesn’t mean that I’m going to go out and shoot somebody, but unfortunately it does mean that I have something in common with this kind of nutcase or serial murderer.  It probably also means that, on some level, I also have mental health issues.  I think everybody does.  Clearly in some people it is much more extreme than in others.  But I definitely suffer from depression, and that has impacted my personal and professional life.  But thankfully I don’t think I will ever have the capacity to carry out such a shocking act of violence and anger.  I don't think that breaking my table tennis paddles qualifies me as a psychotic.  At least I hope not!


No comments:

Post a Comment