Sunday, June 5, 2016

Copa America

Whilst waiting for the Euro's to start - which cannot come some enough - Copa America has already started.  Normally I couldn't give two hoots about this tournament, but because it is being held in the US there is slightly more coverage on it than normal.  The Euro's will still be televised here fortunately (and I quite like the idea of waking up to game before heading to work), but I think Copa America has the priority (thankfully they are on different networks so there shouldn't be any issues of competing coverage).  I haven't caught much of it on TV to be honest - and frankly what I have seen has not been very good.  Some games are even being held in Seattle.  Sadly, none of them are particularly appealing - we've already had Peru vs Haiti, next is Argentina vs Bolivia, and then I think we've got a quarter-final game.  This is a little bit disappointing considering Seattle has a great fan base for soccer - the Seattle Sounders are easily the best supported team in the US with regular attendances of 40,000 plus, so I think they deserved to have at least one high caliber game here.  But no, the people making these decisions obviously prefer the key markets of New York and LA for the big games, rather than the passionate but localized markets of the Pacific NW (Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps are also big teams in the MLS - the Portland-Seattle games are considered the best rivalry games in the sport here).  Regardless, I remain fairly indifferent to Copa America (more so if the US doesn't get very far - they already lost their first game) so I'm just looking forward to the Euro's.  I don't know what to expect from England - great qualifying, meaningless friendlies, good potential going forward, an awful looking back line - could go either way.  Should be interesting, though I expect ultimately disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment