Thursday, January 26, 2023

The Work Blues

I wasn't expecting a promotion this year, but I did think it was a possibility - particularly as they've introduced a technical career path in my job role, which is perfect for me as I don't want to go down the people management route.  So I was extremely disappointed to discover at a recent 1-1 that my manager hadn't even put my name forward for promotion.  And at the same 1-1, she then had the gall to mention that I was overpaid for my job title.  Well great, so I won't even get much of an annual pay rise this year either.  It's all very dispiriting - it's not like I had a bad performance review.  In fact I've never had a bad performance review.  But that doesn't seem to count for anything.  And perhaps I'm overpaid because I'm at the wrong job level.  But do I really want a promotion?  I don't really want an increase in responsibility.  And I probably haven't done nearly enough in my job over the last few years to justify a promotion.  But then I think I'm a lot more worthy than the people who do get promoted.  I can't win.  Bottom line, I am really demotivated by my job right now.  Just going through the motions, doing the minimal amount of work I can to get by - and not being in the least bit proactive.  I don't care any more - and that is not healthy.  It doesn't help that I am getting increasingly distracted and irritated by my coworkers when I go into the office.  The usual culprits - people not muting their computers, talking too loudly on a call, taking meetings in their cube that I can overhear.  It's all very triggering.  I need something to change - whether it's my attitude, or something bigger.            

No comments:

Post a Comment