Sunday, January 29, 2023

Frozen Planet

I've been watching Frozen Planet II on BBC America.  As with all these BBC nature documentaries, they look absolutely amazing, and feature stunning footage.  I don't know how old Sir David Attenborough is now (he must be close to 100 right?), but these nature shows are not the same without his narration.  I remember that when Planet Earth first aired in America, they replaced him with Sigourney Weaver - there was some serious backlash.  I wouldn't call myself an environmentalist, but I do care about what mankind is doing to the Earth and that some of the animals featured in these shows are becoming extinct or close to extinct.  However, I had a somewhat controversial revelation whilst watching Frozen Planet II.  I would be okay if polar bears became extinct.  Not only because they are one of the few natural predators of man, but because they are least equipped to deal with climate change.  Nature is about survival of the fittest, which means adapting to the changing environment around you - if polar bears cannot do that, then maybe they deserve to survive only in zoos.           

No comments:

Post a Comment