Tuesday, January 17, 2023

A TV Recommendation

We already have our first great TV show of 2023, and it is The Last of Us on HBO.  It premiered over the weekend, and I thought it was outstanding.  Obviously it would be premature to judge the show entirely on one episode, but so far so good.  It's one of my favorite genres - apocalyptic thriller.  It's not original - it most reminds me of Children of Men (a flattering comparison, since this is an excellent film).  But it is so well done, far superior to even early The Walking Dead - it's most obvious TV comparison - when it comes to atmosphere, look, storyline, pacing, budget and especially acting.  When one of the co-creators was also behind the superb Chernobyl mini-series, then I am confident we are in good hands.  I was wondering how I knew it was a video game adaptation, but then I just checked some of my old games and I actually own The Last of Us for the PS3.  Fortunately I don't think I played it very much - if at all - so I don't know any spoilers for the rest of the show.  Sadly, not the only example of a video game I've purchased but rarely or never played - but at least this one might work out for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment