Saturday, January 7, 2023

Tech Layoffs

The new year has started with a lot of layoffs in corporate America, and of particular interest is the number of tech layoffs.  In particular, Amazon have said they are going to layoff some 18,000 workers.  With Amazon headquartered in Seattle and having the majority of employees here, this is sure to have a significant impact in our region.  Which is not necessarily a bad thing.  The rise in housing prices and rise in cost of living has been mostly driven by the influx of overpaid tech workers - so I'm hoping we will see some sort of rebound to more sensible levels.  If there is a housing bubble, I would love to see it burst - then perhaps I can actually afford to buy a house I want here.  But I'm not holding my breath.  And of course I can't totally rule out the chances of layoffs at my own company, particularly as we head inexorably towards a big recession this year - though I think it unlikely I will be impacted, but you never know.     

No comments:

Post a Comment