Friday, January 13, 2023

Mega Millions

It was the 2nd largest jackpot in history in the Mega Millions drawing today - only a cool $1.35 billion.  Though the actual take home is probably substantially less after taxes, especially if you take the cash prize rather than the annuity (which you almost definitely would).  I remembered to buy some tickets today.  But as you can probably guess by the fact that I'm writing this, I didn't win.  In fact I've been buying tickets for the last few drawings, but have I won even the most basic prize ($2 - which is the cost of the ticket back - if you match just the gold mega ball, which is a 1 in 25 chance)?  Have I heck.  What a swizz.  But it seems like these huge jackpots have been occurring a lot more regularly recently.  It doesn't surprise me because more people buy lottery tickets when times are tough - after all the lottery predominantly preys upon the poor by selling them hope.  As I write this, we don't know if anyone has won this prize.  But if no one has, then the jackpot simply rolls over and gets even more stupid for the next drawing.  And muggins here will continue to waste my money on buying tickets for a jackpot I'm never going to win.       

No comments:

Post a Comment