Saturday, January 28, 2023

State of Rugby

It's one of those rare weekends with no football I can watch.  The FA Cup ties are on ESPN+ here, which I don't subscribe to - and I don't consider the FA Cup important enough to pay for.  So, for the first time in ages, I watched some rugby union this weekend.  With the Six Nations coming up, I'd thought I'd share something about how I feel about rugby right now - particularly club rugby.  Quite simply, it's a mess.  With Wasps and Worcester bankrupt and no longer playing any matches, this season is a write off.  Makes you wonder about the future financial viability of a lot of the other clubs going forward.  I watched a game this weekend - Saracens vs Bristol - and the quality was awful.  Is this how things are now?  No wonder I haven't been watching many games this year.  But then I wondered if this is because all the best players are on international duty.  It is ridiculous - RIDICULOUS - that the top club sides are still playing games when their best players are not available.  It's a disservice to the game, the league and the fans.  Can you imagine if Premier League clubs were put in the same position - there would be uproar.  Not impressed with how things are being run right now.  Which is a shame, because I love me some rugger.               

No comments:

Post a Comment