Monday, March 16, 2020

Impact

I need a haircut.  And with all the news about bars and restaurants being shut down here (though still doing carryout thank god), so are barbers.  So now I don't have a choice and have to grow my hair out.  And if Trump's statements are true - because nobody can trust anything he says now - then this might last until well into summer.  At least.  No wonder the stock markets tanked today.  Again.  I went out to get some lunch today, and I was literally the only customer there, with about 10 employees.  This was a chain, so they should be able to ride out the storm.  But so many other places won't - the economic impact of self-isolation and social distancing is just going to be devastating and so many businesses are going to shut down.  Permanently.  That's not to say anything about the number of people not earning and who are not going to be able to make ends meet.  This is truly going to change the world, and hopefully bring down Trump's government - I think this might even eclipse 9/11 as the biggest and most important historical moment of our lifetime.  Is this hyperbole?  I don't know, but it doesn't feel like it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment