Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Smoke

It seems I've timed my trip back to the UK quite well.  It has been quite nice here, apart from one major exception over the last few days which I'll be glad to leave behind.  And that's the wildfire smoke pouring into our region.  You can noticeably see and smell the smoke in the air.  Does make for some very photogenic orange skies - especially at sunrise and sunset.  But it does mean we have a severe weather alert for air quality.  In addition, it looks like there's a heat advisory tomorrow and Thursday.  Heat and smoke together is a very toxic combination.  I think all the smoke is coming from some big wildfires in the east of the state.  Apparently there have been tens of thousands of forced evacuations around Spokane, with huge areas affected and lots of buildings destroyed.  And that's just one of many.  What makes it worse, the Spokane fire was caused by arson - which is disgusting.  I guess climate change doesn't really matter when you have the idiocy of humanity.