Friday, August 21, 2026

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard

A trip today to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.  Convenient because it's a direct train.  And this does make a worthy day trip.  I was there for about 4 hours, and could easily have spent another 4 hours there.  The remains of the Mary Rose, HMS Victory, HMS Warrior - plus a bunch of other historic ships.  If you like your naval history, you'll love it here.  I have been here before - it must have been not long after my parents moved to Surrey because I went with both of them.  But that was a long time ago (I can't find a blog entry for it), and it was worth revisiting again.  Despite the extortionate entrance fee.  But my ticket is valid for a year, so if I'm back in the UK at Christmas (and that is a big if, since I'm having some second thoughts about whether I want to/need to/am prepared to shell out on another trip back this year) then I might well come back.