Thursday, May 5, 2022

Workload

We had a company-wide meeting today – the kind of meeting where the CEO talks a little bit about the company and how we’re doing.  And the more I hear from this guy, the more I think he sounds like a snake oil salesman.  His positivity seems far removed from reality and how most of us “grunts” actually feel the company is doing – and if the share price is anything to go by, the investors also don’t seem to agree with him.  Our pipeline of work doesn’t seem anywhere near as full as our CEO seems to make it out to be.  My workload is extremely light at the moment, and has been for quite some time, and I’m definitely not the only one – almost everyone working within our therapeutic area (probably the “least important” area when it comes to our company’s growth, and clearly the least successful when it comes to recent results) has little to no work - and there doesn’t seem to be any substantial work coming up.  I just found out this week that another project I was earmarked to work on has been canned.  The meeting today actually focused on our therapeutic area, but I got zero sense that there was actually any significant tangible work coming up anytime soon.  A lot of the discussion was more about the various failures and lessons learnt – I wish they’d looked forward more than they looked back.  With no upcoming vacation planned, I suspect I will be shipped out to help out on other projects in different areas as and when they need some extra help.  Not exactly the best use of my skillset, but frankly I’ll take anything right now if it means I’ll be a bit busier than I currently am.  But it’s all very dispiriting – I don’t think we’re anywhere close to talking about job layoffs yet, but I fear we are heading in that direction if things don’t turn around soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment