Sunday, May 22, 2022

Championship Sunday

Well, that was exciting wasn't it.  I guess if I was a true Palace fan, I would have watched their game.  But I considered their season effectively over after the epic and horrific second half collapse against Everton during the week.  So instead I decided to watch the Man City game, turned over to watch the Liverpool game when Man City went 2 goals down, then turned back to watch the rest of the Man City game when they got a goal back.  Everyone is going to talk about Man City winning the league with that spell where they scored 3 goals in 5 minutes or whatever it was.  But I don't think Man City won the league, I think Liverpool lost it.  I think if Liverpool were ahead or had gone ahead when Man City were 2 goals down, things would have been different.  The atmosphere at the Man City game would have been different - the crowd would have known, the team would have known, and I don't think Man City would have come back in the way they did.  The sad thing is that I think Liverpool are also going to lose the Champions League final next weekend - I think they are mentally and physically done.  And having had strong hopes of completing the quadruple, the pressure is on because if they don't win the Champions League then you could argue that their season has been a big disappointment.  And of course, it wasn't just the champions being decided but also European places and relegation.  That was a lot going on - and a big reason why this league is the best in the world (at least until next season when someone - probably Man City again - runs away with it in anticlimactic fashion).      

No comments:

Post a Comment