Friday, May 27, 2022

Birdlife

A hummingbird update.  There are, I think, 2 pairs of hummingbirds using the various feeders I have outside.  And boy are they getting through the sugar water - I'm having to refill them weekly.  But maybe that is too regularly, is something else using the feeder?  I still have my trail camera set up, but I haven't captured any raccoons on film recently.  But I think I found the culprit - or more accurately culprits - this week, and it is an old enemy - wasps (maybe bees - but wasps make for a more obvious enemy).  I have no idea what I can do about these.  At the moment I just have a water spray bottle handy, which I'm using if I see the little sods on the feeder - but that is hardly a big deterrent.  And the last thing I want to do is sit outside obsessively watching over the feeders all day, and totally incapable of getting anything else done.  So I think I just have to live with this, and hope that the wasps/bees don't obstruct the hummingbirds from feeding.

    

1 comment:

  1. Do you not think that hummingbirds are used to dealing with nectar competitiors (bees etc) in the wild?

    You're worrying unnnecessarily (IMHO).

    ReplyDelete