Saturday, May 7, 2022

Mother's Day

With it being Mother's Day this weekend - at least in the US - I want to take this opportunity to say how proud I am of my Mum.  The last few years haven't been easy, but no matter what life throws at you she has remained strong.  She's had to learn to live a lot more independently, and she has done so admirably (with a little bit of help at times!  And I'm so glad she has Darcey to keep her company now as well!).  She has continued to live her retirement as she wants - mostly in the garden - and somehow continues to lead a full and busy life.  I think it helps that she is stubborn and has her routines and ways of doing things - I don't always agree with them, but if they work for her then who am I to judge.  I know I'm probably a bit of a disappointment to her - never having got married, never giving her grandchildren, and in her own words being "not normal" - for which I can only apologize.  And I also feel somewhat guilty that I'm only able to offer her limited support from the other side of the world - and it's been tough not being able to see her as much as either of us would like over the last few years.  But I hope we can appreciate the time we are able to spend together now, and I do hope to come back to the UK a bit more regularly (twice a year if possible).  I hope she continues to be able to do the things she like to do (though being wary of her increasing limitations as she gets older!).  And I hope the future remains relatively stress-free (don't let the small things bother you, it's not good for the blood pressure!).  Stay strong and wishing my Mum - and all the other Mums out there - a Happy Mother's Day!      

No comments:

Post a Comment