Thursday, May 19, 2022

Citizen of the World

I'm often asked if I would ever consider returning to the UK on a more permanent basis.  And I have replied with a hard no.  But I've been giving this some thought recently, and maybe I think it's more of a soft no now.  I think my future still lies in the US - but it is no longer set in stone.  For example, I would probably move back to the UK for a relationship - as unlikely a scenario as that would be right now.  Honestly, I would probably go to the ends of the world for love.  But America's problems start at the top - and they increasingly alarm me.  The political extremism is only going to get worse - and all signs point to the far right winning, and that is disturbing.  The Republican party embodies this and they repulse me, but they are inevitably going to win the mid-terms - and probably going to win big.  So the bigger picture in the US does not bode well, and I am not enthused about living in a country which is likely to take backward steps when it comes to things like women's rights, voting access, environmental concerns, foreign relations, etc.  But saying all this, I've also been giving a lot of consideration to applying for American citizenship.  I don't want to give up my UK passport, but I think I can become a dual citizen.  And apart from giving me the right to vote in the US (which I probably won't use, unless I ever live anywhere where my vote actually matters), I think having US citizenship would ironically allow me to spend more time in the UK - since there would no longer be any restrictions in how much time I reside outside the US (which is a condition of permanent residency).  So yes, I think it is very possible I might become a US citizen within the next few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment