Sunday, April 10, 2022

Masks

At Sea-Tac airport, I am federally obligated to wear a face mask.  In the air, I am federally obligated to wear a face mask.  In both cases, the mask-wearing is quite strictly enforced.  So it was quite disconcerting to arrive at Heathrow today, and discover that - even in the terminal - the wearing of a face mask is minimal at best - and certainly not required or enforced at all.  And when later on I went to a supermarket, face masks were practically non-existent.  It's an entirely different mindset here than in the US.  Even with the indoor mask mandate having been lifted in most US states now, you still see a considerable proportion of customers wearing a face mask.  That's not the case here, where seemingly given the choice hardly anybody will wear a face mask.  I was planning to wear one on public transport and suchlike while I'm here, and I think I still will, regardless of the odd looks I'm bound to get. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll find we're evolutionarily ahead in our dealing with Covid.

    It's now accepted here that:

    a. Covid is endemic.
    b. Everybody who needs to be vaxed is vaxed (& we are a nation with zero sympathy for anti vaxers).

    Therefore:

    Covid is less of a fatality risk & life must go on.

    Ergo: Back to normal.

    N.B. The attitude to vaxing is an important factor - the UK has been proactively at the forefront of vaxing protocol. The public's attitude to this is reflective of that. Only a small minority choose not to vax (& they are regarded by the mainstream as being on a par with the flat earth brigade).

    ReplyDelete