Saturday, April 2, 2022

Coasting

There was an article on the BBC website this week about "coasting" workers who have checked out of their jobs.  And it really resonated with me, because that is exactly how I feel.  As the article said, "rather than quit, more and more employees are happy just to get by and collect their salaries".  Yep.  I can appreciate that.  As I can about some of the typical workdays described in the article: periodically check your inbox, attend the occasional meeting, watch YouTube; brief bursts of work interspersed with prolonged bouts of "cyberloafing", listening to comedy podcasts and reading.  If you substitute reading for watching telly, then that absolutely describes my typical workday over the last few years.  And apparently this is quite a popular phenomenon.  I don't particularly like this - I'd rather be in a job and a profession that I care about and I'm engaged with.  But I'd much rather coast than get stressed out from overwork and burnout.    

Here is a link to the article:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20220329-the-coasting-workers-whove-checked-out-of-their-jobs

No comments:

Post a Comment